variant of Multnomah

Dave Robertson tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET
Fri Jan 18 05:39:45 UTC 2002

Hi,

Please see the message I've just posted about the "Annals of Astoria"; there, I suggest we consider a parallel with other (synchronic) variation such as the [l] ~ [t] in <waltap> ~ <wattap/whattap>.

Sonorants that aren't semivowels, meaning mostly nasals and liquids, give one a strong impression of instability or variability throughout the indigenous Northwest.  There's a not infrequent realization of the phoneme /l/ as [dl], for example, which can be heard by foreign ears as a sort of /d/.

Then there's Boas' well-known remark about the difficulty of determining whether his Chinookan consultant was uttering an /m/ or a /b/...or should I say an [m] or a [b]?!  (That is, explicitly referring to phonetics and not to a phonological analysis.)

And I do feel it's worth pondering what connection the above phenomena have with the well-documented diachronic *change* from nasals to voiced stops in various circum-Olympic-Peninsula Chimakuan, Wakashan, and Salishan languages.  These developments, in turn, may perhaps be compared with the Upriver Halq'emeylem Salish development of /n/ into /l/, which happened at roughly the same time -- and this with the frequent realization of /l/ as [n] and /n/ as [l] in regional Chinuk-Wawa (just think of the word <doctin>, presumably from approx. [daktEl], from English "doctor"; also <lapilitas> "penance" < French "la pe'nitance").

It's bedtime, so I'll desist from linguizing after a final note:  Nile Thompson, in the volume in honor of Larry Thompson, has one of my favorite little papers, demonstrating how historical documents trace a clear trajectory of Twana Salish nasals' development into stops.  Similar historical studies of other NW languages may yield equally illuminating results.

Lhush nanich,

Dave

--
"Asking a linguist how many languages she knows is like asking a doctor how many diseases he has!" -- anonymous