Fitzgerald, Emily. "An Army Doctor's Wife on the Frontier" (msg 1)

Jim Holton jim at ADISOFT-INC.COM
Mon Jan 21 18:14:41 UTC 2002

Dave, my guess is that it is "Laqw" (barred-L, a, q-w) from GR spelling
or "klak" from Shaw's spelling. Rgds, Jim

Dave Robertson wrote:

 >[Please look especially at the last passage below.  What do think
"kleck" is:  Chinook Jargon, Tlingit, or other?--Dave]

 >Fitzgerald, Emily.  “An Army Doctor’s Wife on the Frontier:  Letters
from Alaska and the Far West, 1874-1878.”  Pittsburgh:  University of
Pittsburgh Press, 1962.

 >Page 42-43:  Sitka, Alaska, August 23, 1874:  “There is a dirty little
town scattered around the post full of Russians.  Then, off to one side,
is the Indian village…They come to your backdoors every day with things
to sell:  venison, birds, fish, berries, etc.  One woman quite
frightened me yesterday by stopping  to speak to Bess.  She saw her and
came back and said, ‘Your papoose?’  I said, ‘Yes.’  She pointed out the
gate to a little Indian baby off on the grass and said, ‘My papoose.’”

 >Page 90:  Sitka, January 23, 1875:  “I sent by this mail an Indian
dollie…The little papooses here play with these charming dollies.”

 >Page 91-92:  Sitka, February 8, 1875:  “Noah, our cook [a black man, I
believe—but I didn’t photocopy the page describing him—ed.], has to do
all the bargaining, for I can’t understand a thing they say or make them
understand me.  ‘Sitkum dollar’ is 50 cents.  That I do know, for their
price for almost everything is a half dollar.  ‘Cleck’ means you don’t
want what they have and they must go away.”

 >--
 >"Asking a linguist how many languages she knows is like asking a
doctor how many diseases he has!" -- anonymous

http://shopnow.netscape.com/