Variants of "handkerchief" in CJ & /n/ - /l/ - stop relations

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Wed Jan 23 03:32:32 UTC 2002

This is certainly an interesting word, once you consider the output in
CJ.
Klamath has the following entry for 'handkerchief' (see Barker 1963):

[kikjam]  where [j] is shown as a "wedge J", B. suggests "gyp" in
analogy

...similar to your [khikchEm].  I am not sure of your suggested
analysis, (i am not a phonetician/phonologist) but it does seem that
there is a distinct minimal prosodic template in action here in the CJ
outputs, which makes me wonder--ikta lalang?  that is, where does the
syllable shape [kikjam] come from when one says "handkerchief" in CJ?

this is why i like CJ so much, because it is just so darn interesting...

wext,
Phil Cash Cash
cayuse/nez perce

M.A.R. Barker
1963 Klamath Dictionary UCPL Vol. 31

Demers'
> & Blanchet's materials -- or else as homorganic ("eng")
prenasalization of