Towees (was: RE: Clemmens -> Klimmin?

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Wed Jan 23 20:33:17 UTC 2002

"Ross Clark (FOA LING)" wrote:

> "Towees" are trade axe blades, more often spelled "toes". I'm pretty sure
> this is from Polynesian /to?i/ "adze" (could be Tahitian or t-style
> Hawaiian).

Interesting.  This isn't a Jargon word, but often I've noted
maritime/sailors words/argot that must have been current throughout the
Pacific (the trade circle being PacNW-China-Oz/Hawaii-PacNW), without
ever reaching much farther than bars on shore, and while being part of
the trade lingo and the vocabulary of ship's logs, never becoming part
of the CJ.

MC