One or the other (b/m)

Liland Brajant Ros' lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Sat Jan 26 07:19:37 UTC 2002

>From: Dave Robertson <tuktiwawa at NETSCAPE.NET>
>To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
>Subject: Handkerchiefs, old ladies, and unstable consonants
>Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 02:08:53 -0500
>
>Lhaxhayam,
>
>There are other realizations of [v] in Jargon, at least in certain regions,
>as we all know from the commonly understood /biktoli/ for 'Victoria, BC'.
>(Am I mistaken in thinking I've also seen ~ /mEktoli/ in one of the BC
>Native languages?)

Seems to me most languages hereabouts, at any given point in time, do not
have a [v], and have a single bilabial phoneme which is realized somewhere
(or everywhere, allophonically) along the m<-=->b continuum. So I don't know
if you're mistaken or not, but it's a reasonable surmise even if you were
just making it up.

lilEnd