Annals of Astoria

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Sun Jan 27 07:10:03 UTC 2002

"Alan H. Hartley" wrote:

> Life was pretty polyglot at Astoria 1811-13:

must have sounded amazing in the messhall (muckamuck house)

> English
> French
> Chinook & Clatsop
> Chinook Jargon
> Hawaiian ("Sandwich Islanders")
> Ojibway (Saulteaux)

I have no dispute that there were probably full-blood Ojibway and other
Algonkians working for the Company; but could it be that these were also
Metis, as most if not all of the "French" were?  The reason I'm
wondering is that Mitchif could well have been mis-heard as being a
variety of Ojibway and/or Cree.

> Pacific Eskimo & Russian(?) ("Kodiak Indians"; hypothetical)

Have to check my Alaskan culture-tribe maps; the Kodiak Peninsula's a
bit far south for Pacific Eskimo (Yupiks?) and maybe a bit too far east
for Aleut.  Anyone?

> Quinault, Chehalis, Tillamook (Salishan)
> Kwakiutl ("Neweetians")
> Nootka
> et al.

MC