Cathlaminimin

George Lang george.lang at UALBERTA.CA
Mon Jan 28 01:12:14 UTC 2002

The name sounds familiar but I can't find it in the stuff I have here and
now at hand this afternoon.  I admit to inhabiting that distant land only
in my dreams.  (It's -20 celsius outside as I write, a beautiful blue sky,
crunchy snow...)

What I did stumble across was, first, a reference in Silverstein's
"Chinookans" (in our beloved HNAI, here vol 7: 534, in the place
names next to the map), village number 46, in Multnomah territory,
"Clan-nar-min-amon" which looks to me like it had the same nominal
root.  But about this I am not sure.

I'm just fishing here, or rather gigging, but I notice that Boas has
_mEn_ for newt (semi-aquatic salamander).  He had this as one of
the habitually redoubled but not quite onomatopoetic stems in LC
(1904:133).

So could Cathlaminimin be in any sense the 'place of those who hang
with the newt' (which King George Men pronounce with a yod)?

Or is this "etymologizing" in the loose sense of the word.

George