Annals of Astoria

Liland Brajant Ros' lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Mon Jan 28 07:51:27 UTC 2002

>From: Mike Cleven <ironmtn at bigfoot.com>
>To: CHINOOK at listserv.linguistlist.org
>Subject: Re: Annals of Astoria
>Date: Sat, 26 Jan 2002 23:10:03 -0800
>
> > Pacific Eskimo & Russian(?) ("Kodiak Indians"; hypothetical)
>
>Have to check my Alaskan culture-tribe maps; the Kodiak Peninsula's a
>bit far south for Pacific Eskimo (Yupiks?) and maybe a bit too far east
>for Aleut.  Anyone?

No, Alan's right if that's what he meant. See the Ethnologue's Alaska map:

http://www.ethnologue.com/show_map.asp?name=USA&seq=2

according to which the native language associated with Kodiak Island (and
even with part of the mainland farther east) is what SIL calls "Pacific Gulf
Yupik", which the Ethnologue describes as follows:

YUPIK, PACIFIC GULF [EMS] 400 speakers out of 3,000 population (1995 M.
Krauss).  Alaska Peninsula, Kodiak Island (Koniag dialect), Alaskan coast
from Cook Inlet to Prince William Sound (Chugach dialect). 20 villages.
Alternate names: ALUTIIQ, SUGPIAK 'ESKIMO', SUGPIAQ 'ESKIMO', CHUGACH
'ESKIMO', KONIAG-CHUGACH, SUK, SUGCESTUN, ALEUT, PACIFIC YUPIK, SOUTH ALASKA
'ESKIMO'.  Dialects: CHUGACH, KONIAG.  Classification: Eskimo-Aleut, Eskimo,
Yupik, Alaskan.

À propos of recent discussion here of nasal/stop alterations and
alternations, "Kodiak Island (Koniag dialect)" is interesting....

lilEnd