Tilicum

Theresa Kishkan tkishkan at UNISERVE.COM
Wed Jan 30 16:11:13 UTC 2002

Hi Andy,

The linguists on this List will provide you with excellent information on
Tillicum (it was the name of my elementary school in Victoria, B.C. in the
mid-1960s...) but I thought I'd add my two cents (pence) worth about yerba
buena. Its Latin name is Satureja douglasii, it's a trailing mint,
evergreen, with little pale pink or white flowers. I'm not certain of this
but I think my area -- Sechelt Peninsula,  north of Vancouver -- is about as
far north as it grows. It smells strongly of something like eucalyptus and
was used as a steaming herb for congestion and colds by indigenous people
all along the Pacific coast.

Theresa Kishkann

>Hello,
>
>A message from England.
>
>Tilicum
>
>This may seem an elementary message for experts in the Chinook means of
>communication/language and this is really an incidental enquiry about a
>word that has just about crept into the English language, at least it has
>crept in a roundabout way to Shoreham-by-Sea, Sussex, England.
>
>Questions:
>
>1)   What does the word mean ? e.g.  People, or man (not woman?), or people
>of the local tribe etc.
>2)   How is the word pronounced?  spelt?
>3)   What is the connection with Tillicum Vllage?
>4)   What is "Elip Tilicum? "
>5)   From what language or dialect did the word "tilicum" originate?
>6)   From what race or tribe did the word "tilicum" originate? (this may be
>a different name or the spellings may be different, and someone halfway
>across the world where we speak Indo-European mostly may get confused).
>
>And what is the connection?
>
>I bought a boat called "Tilicum" (years ago) and I wondered where the name
>came from? It is an unusal but by no means a unique boat name. It appeared
>to be built by the Royal Navy a long time ago, but I have no details of how
>the name was acquired. The boat in the next mooring was called "Yerba
>Buena".
>
>Cheers
>
>Andy Horton
>bmlss at compuserve.com
>Writer & Photographer
>http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/BMLSS/andy.htm
>
>tillicum  | tlkm |  n. N. Amer. (chiefly dial.). M19. [Chinook Jargon
>tilikum people f. Chinook tilxam, f. t- pl. prefix + ilxam village.] 1 A
>member of one's own tribe or people; in pl., the people, ordinary people.
>M19.  2 A friend. M19.

>Excerpted from The Oxford Interactive Encyclopedia
>Developed by The Learning Company, Inc. Copyright (c) 1997 TLC Properties
>Inc.

Theresa Kishkan
RR1 Site 20 C11
Madeira Park, B.C.
V0N 2H0
(604)883-2377
Red Laredo Boots (1996); Sisters of Grass (2000); Inishbream (2001)

"There were days when I almost went back, when the city was rank with fish
and I remembered the nets, still usable, when my eyes filled with the memory
of soft gas lamps and mist."
                         --Inishbream