Talapus 'Coyote'

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Thu Jan 31 16:21:41 UTC 2002

[talapóosa] n. Nez Perce.  prayer, religion, worship

the verb form would have an added suffix inflection.  i do not recall
seeing this word in the Thomas dictionary.  maybe someone can point it
out to me, thanks.

the etymological-mythographical connection between this form and CJ
[talapus] 'coyote' may not be here.  rather, i think it may be related
to the Nez Perce entry for 'fox' [tilípe].

i would be curious what other forms might be present for [talapus].

phil cash cash
cayuse/nez perce

> > Incidentally, there's at least one peripheral Nez Perce loan in CJ
that
> > hasn't been mentioned much.  Thomas' dictionary has 'talapusha' for
> > pray', in the English section only.  As I recall, the Nez Perce stem
for
> > this meaning is /tarapoca/.
>
> Might there be any etymological-mythographical connection here to
> talapus/t'alapus?  i.e. Coyote the Trickster?
>
> MC

see RE: [fwd from A. Grant:] Cayuse, Molala, Nez Perce, CJ