Whiskey jack, the bird, and high muck

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at ATTBI.COM
Thu Jul 11 04:45:11 UTC 2002

Well, I'm not sure if David meant the word was "lost" somehow to the Natives if it came into common use, in the way that Kleenex, Xerox and Frigidaire have to continually defend and protect the copyright of their names as they paradoxically became so popular they threaten to become generic (as did happen to "Aspirin" in the U.S., once the trademark of Bayer).  But it is a kind of loss if people take to using the terms without realizing (or worse, ignoring) their origin.

(That's why we have Web sites!)

P.S. I do find the little "(TM)" that seems to be required next to every single mention of the "Academy Awards" these days a bit annoying.  (Once per article should be enough, for heaven's sake.)

Regards,

Jeff