Oregon/Washington Excerpts of Swanton now in HTML

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at ATTBI.COM
Sun Jul 28 13:46:20 UTC 2002

Klahowya, Wawa-webbies:

I converted the text file I used to link to (but disappeared from the Web recently) of the Oregon and Washington excerpts of Swanton's Indian Tribes of North America (Bureau of Ethnology Bulletin 145, 1952) into HTML (for readability, as well as just plain compulsive neatness).

While undertaking the conversion, to get the formatting right I compared the plain text version I had with a library copy and discovered the last few pages of Washington were missing from what I had found on the 'net, so I OCRd them (from a miserable under-inked reprint by the Shorey Book Store) and added them in.

So the excerpts are now complete, but still not finished; I have yet to proofread it (there are still a few OCR errors--like c's instead of e's and erroneous digits), add accented and linguistic characters (they OCR'd as Roman or gobbledygook), and construct an alphabetical "navigation bar" (in a frame to the left, like the dictionaries have).  It's also a huge page, so I oughta split it like I did the larger dictionary lexicons, so it won't take forever to load on dial-up connections.  But it's still better than what was available online before.

Of course, my main reason for mentioning it here is to invite notice of any mistakes which may be seen.  Please see  http://home.attbi.com/~chinookjargon/swantonwashoreg.htm  (Spotting errors in words like "Tapi'ksdabsh" is difficult for me, but I know at least a couple of you are familiar with them.)  I also "cheated" and used Front Page Express to pull this together in a reasonable length of time, so word of any formatting quirks which may appear (like on older Mac browser versions--ugh) will also be appreciated.

(I also plan to make the map of PNW Indian Language Domains http://home.attbi.com/~chinookjargon/mapinlng.htm into a clickable thing that will take the visitor to the corresponding section of Swanton... will take some time to get around to that.)

P.S. The Smithsonian's stuff is beautiful, but of course it all stops at the border.  Is there a comparable reference for Western Canada? (In public domain, hopefully?)

Kloshe nanitch,

Jeff

(Your Tax Dollars At Work)