37th Salish conference, Lummi (WA),Aug 14-16 2002 ... from SSILA bulletin #138

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Fri Mar 1 12:48:37 UTC 2002

Dave Robertson wrote:

> Klahowya,
>
> For your information, as we consider whether to schedule this year's Chinuk Lu7lu / Chinook Jargon Gathering close to this major event.  (I remain in favor of this location, either just before or just after the Salish Conference -- and am willing to work with Mercedes and Northwest Indian College, who've arranged fine conferences before.)  --Dave

I wanted to comment about my Fort Langley proposal that my own ideas for
the what the conference might have in the way of alternate
programs/atmosphere to the usual format is NOT tied in any way to my
suggestion for the use of Fort Langley for the Chinook gathering, which
is based around the Fort's 175th Anniversay.  By the look of the
Salishan conference it might be impractical for people attending both
from far away (e.g. Spokane) to have the Chinook conference on the
Weekend of Brigade Days, which will be on the BC Day weekend Aug 3-5; so
it may not be possible to work the Chinook conference into Brigade Days
directly; but the Fort is still a good location and would be quieter
than on the holiday weekend as far as group cohesion/study goes, and
therefore also more workable for Fort staff.  There's been no reply to
my suggestion other than Barbara Harris', so I thought I'd better
clarify my position on my proposal; my OWN curriculum ideas don't have
anything to do with it.  I may do something to raise the profile of the
Jargon at the Fort during Brigade Days w/wo the Workshop being there
that weekend; but I still think the timing is appropriate to have it at
the Fort during its 175th anniversary year (and its relocation of
Jargon-speaking Ft. Vancouverites to the banks of the Fraser, surely a
major date in the history of the Wawa).  I don't think facilities costs
would be high; possibly even donated, as this is a federal national
historic site and the facilities are intended for educational use.  The
costs for Canadians in the US are much higher, so even Lummi Island
might be a problem for some of us despite its closeness to the border;
and y'all could save some dough by spending a weekend in Canada (or at
least get more bang for your greenback).

--
Mike Cleven
http://www.cayoosh.net (Bridge River Lillooet history)