[fwd from A. Grant] Re "Taylor" article

phil cash cash pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Sat Mar 16 00:52:26 UTC 2002

...naika nem Nez Perce, kakwa pus wawa [qash qásh] 'speckled'.  Yaka
chako Nez Perce nem [yíix yix qash qásh] 'speckled hawk'.

ankatii tayii pushtin man (Indian Agent) mamuk pepa nem kakwa [Cash
Cash].   Kopa ikta naika nem.

..."I wonder who his A Taylor was."  Yaka nem Alan Taylor.

Kopet alta,

Phil Cash Cash (cayuse/nez perce)

-----Original Message-----
From: The Chinook List [mailto:CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On
Behalf Of Dave Robertson
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 3:01 PM
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: [fwd from A. Grant] Re "Taylor" article

Laxauya etc

As I was the author of the article which Phil Cash Cash cites, I wonder
=
who his A Taylor was.  There was an Alexander Taylor who did a partwork
=
in the 1860s on the Indianology of California, as it happens.  (Phil, is
=
your surname anything to do with the Chinookan word for 'youing man'?  =
Just wondering).

Anthony Grant

--
"Asking a linguist how many languages she knows is like asking a doctor
how many diseases he has!" -- anonymous

http://shopnow.netscape.com/

http://webmail.netscape.com/