French-Chinook list

Mike Cleven ironmtn at BIGFOOT.COM
Fri May 17 18:43:31 UTC 2002

http://www.legrandordinaire.com/Mediatheque/textes/ecrits/divers/CHINOOK.htm

Interesting; contains a few things we haven't seen/sourced before, or in
variations so far unseen (except maybe in KW transcription): nb ab-ba =>
"eh bien"; mousquet => mooskeh (usually "musket"); poudre => poodle (!);
je suppose => se-spoze (spose); la langue => la lank (lalang); la main
=> leh'ma _but_also_ la mes-tir; la médecine => la-met-sin / la-mes-tir.
   (lamestir's a bit of a mystery IMO, here used for both le main and la
médecine); maringouin => mah-le-kooa (mosquito; "Melakwa" shows up as
placename in BC); and empouillé => enpooy (not sure what that means -
Yann?).  Plus Chinookizations for a bunch of ecclesiastical terms -
"Extreme Unction", "Confirmation" etc.

My Kamloops Wawa page has been fixed up so that the text is readable
now; I'd changed the background colour on all my pages without changing
the purple text on some which made them unreadable, including this one:

http://www.hiyu.net/kamloops.html

Also found this article from the Nat'l Library of Canada:

http://www.nlc-bnc.ca/9/2/p2-9911-04-e.html

Cool pictures of Teit and LeJeune:

http://aboriginalcollections.ic.gc.ca/secwepemc/secstin.html

And for the record, the use of the anglicization "kamlups wawa" used by
another poster is unseemly; LeJeune didn't see fit to transcribe it that
way and it's also an unnecessary change for the name of one of BC's
major cities.  Unlesss Spoakann, Iakuma or Syatel makes sense down your way.

SKOOKUM-L will be on line shortly for "non-scholarly discussions".

--
Mike Cleven
http://www.cayoosh.net (Bridge River Lillooet history)