"Across the Wide Missouri" (fwd from A. Grant)

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon May 20 21:23:31 UTC 2002

"Anthony Grant" <Anthony.Grant3 at btinternet.com>
To: "The Chinook List" <CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>
Subject: Across the Wide Missouri
Date: Mon, 20 May 2002 19:01:21 +0100
Laxauya, tilXams:

I only saw the movie once, but my impression was that tyhe actors had =
been givcen CJ items wroitten down and had pronounced it as though it =
was English  - elip as 'ellip', for instance. Not QUITE what I'd expect =
from my reading of Boas and Jacobs or my conversations with CJ speakers =
from Siletz..... There aren't many long sentences in the CJ dialogue in =
the field, and Clark Gable's wife doesn't look very Native (I think she =
was Hispanic or Brazilian).   It's harmless undemanding fun, and the =
mangling of CJ on the movie is pretty amusing. =20

Anthony