J.G. Swan cited as possibly important to English dictionaries (ADS-L list)

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at ATTBI.COM
Fri Nov 15 04:00:53 UTC 2002

Hi.  Duane's discussion of Swan's book may be seen at http://tenaswawa.home.attbi.com/jn13.htm  If this thread is still alive on ADS, you might want to pass the link along.

I bought a used copy of the 1960s DARE for a (college-educated) immigrant friend who was confused when told one of his employees "fell off the wagon."  ("Oh, no!" he blurted, "How bad was he hurt?" His staff ribbed him for a week.)  It's now part of his bar's reference library, next to the usual sports almanac, Guinness Records book, and an atlas. (I want to get myself a copy, but haven't gotten around to it.)  Terrific reading.

Jeff