Why our CHINOOK List website is so excellent to use

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Tue Nov 19 04:14:29 UTC 2002

LhaXayam, khanawi-lhaksta.

I've mentioned this previously, and think it's worth expanding upon the
subject:  Our CHINOOK List has a website (address below), and the website
is just excellent.  I strongly advocate your trying it out.  You may find
that you'll bookmark it, and check it every day; researchers may find it a
valuable tool for their studies.

On the CHINOOK website you'll find all the messages ever posted to our
list, arranged week-by-week, with the current week first.  You can set the
controls on our website to display the messages the way you like best.
(You can
     ***choose to "hide authors", "hide topics", etc.;
     ***choose to view messages by topics, by date of posting, etc.;
     ***choose to show an index of the week's messages or not; and more.)

While viewing individual messages, you can
     ***choose to search for the next most recent message from the same
     author as the message you're reading;
     ***click a button to view all messages in the same subject "thread";
     ***click a button to search for anything (even the word "the") in the
     entire 4-and-a-half-year archive of messages;
     ***click to reply to any message you find in the archive; and more.

One advantage of handling your business with CHINOOK this way is, you don't
even have to check your personal email account.  You can just follow the
proceedings right on our website, graciously constructed and maintained for
us by the nice people at LINGUIST List (Eastern Michigan University, Wayne
State University, et al.).

Have fun for a few minutes looking at the CHINOOK website,
<listserv.linguistlist.org/archives/chinook.html>, and learning what it has
to offer to you!