More on Webster's 3rd New International

Ros' Haruo lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Nov 20 22:55:38 UTC 2002

>of the tribe hasn't been specified, and the word seems like a folk blending
>of <Salish> and <Chehalis> to my ears.  <Chehalis> is usually pronounced
>with an initial <sh> sound by Washingtonians, as is <Chinook>, and stranger
>things have happened than a metathesis of /s/ and /sh/:  Take a look at the
>origin of English <sashay> in the French word <chasse'>!  (Or at the
>metathesis that supposedly turned <flutterby> into <butterfly>.)

I am not sure if I've ever heard "Sahalish", but if I had I'm sure I
dismissed it as a mispronunciation of "Salish". Another interesting
metathesis of the kind you mention is Spanish "palabra" from Latin
"parabola"; it involves interesting semantic field shifts, too.

lilEnd

        ROS' Haruo / 204 N 39th / Seattle WA 98103 / Usono
    lilandbr at scn.org / lilandbr at hotmail.com / tel 206-633-2434
TTT-Himnaro Cigneta : http://www.geocities.com/cigneto/pretaj.html
Nove en La Lilandejo : http://www.geocities.com/lilandr/novaj.html
      ("la Esperantisto antauxe nomata Liland Brajant Ros'")