Help with translation?

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Oct 11 00:35:13 UTC 2002

Sue,

Thank you--this is a great little piece of Jargon!  A couple of first
impressions:

I can't help with the name you're asking about, but Hyas Man could just be
a descriptive title for a chief (literally "big man"), maybe...  If it
became a family name, I'm interested to know.

SENTENCE 1:  "Klutsch" may be the shortened form of "klootchman" ("woman /
wife") often encountered among English-speakers in the Northwest.

"kawaneike dum Dum" = "kahkwa nika tumtum" = "as I thought"

"bos ammak kkuk" = "pus [???] makuk" = "if/would [???] buy/sell"

"Shie kod" = [???]

"neke wauman" = "nika (woman)"? = "my wife"?

SENTENCE 2:
"komber" = "kopet"? = "just/only"

"Deneds Klumscheman be kanisem wouware heller Iskum Man nike" = "tenas
klootchman pe kwanisem wawa halo iskum man nika(?)" = "girl and always said
not-at-all get man I"

So the 2nd sentence looks to mean something like "[When] she was just a
girl [and] she always said I'd never get a man."  (!)  If this reading
turns out to be appropriate, it's interesting to see "nika" ("I") after the
verb, instead of before it.

It would really be something to see the document and get contextual info to
help decipher this passage.  Maybe Tony, Henry, et al. have other ideas to
contribute?

[you wrote:]
"Now you could be at Heiesmä® G䲫's wedding next week.  They sure were
surprised to hear that you were already married!  Klutsch said (Heiesm䮳)
kawaneike dum Dum, bos ammak kkuk Shie kod neke wauman.  Komber Deneds
Klumschem䮬 be kanisem wouwaure heller Iskum Mä® nike. "