Mixed blood, etc.

pasxapu pasxapu at DAKOTACOM.NET
Sat Sep 21 16:37:27 UTC 2002

[sitkum siwash] or 'half breed' is still used among the Columbia River
Sahaptins, although it tends to be heard as [shitkum shiwash].

While the origin of this term seems fairly uncontroversial, [siwash]
being derived from Fr. 'sauvage', I get the impression that this
expression has two underlying uses, i) a neutral reference to peoples
(as in nominal compounds), and ii) a negative cultural reference to
peoples.  Each is a matter of usage and perspective as Dave suggested in
his earlier post, but both kinds of meanings exist.

Also, it appears that [tilikum] 'people' was the more common term used
prior to the 1850's.  Thereafter, [tilikum] and [siwash] were used
interchangably.  The timing of [siwash]'s introduction in to CJ sources
seems to coincide with the height of Indian-White conflict in the Oregon
territory, i.e. the Whitman Masscare, etc.

I would be interested in knowing more of the kinds of compounds people
have heard over the years.  The few that I have heard are [sitkum
Koosho] meaning 'seal'.

Wext,

Phil Cash Cash (cayuse/nez perce)
University of Arizona