Help! "Pointers" in a military context?

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Sep 27 01:58:27 UTC 2002

LhaXayam,

Naika tiki pus msaika mamuk tanas hilp naika.  /  I need you folks to help
me a little.

For research on a "Kamloops Wawa" text that's otherwise completely in
Chinuk-Wawa, can someone tell me what a "pointer" is?

The context is an attack by Chinese "Boxers" on a Catholic church compound
in Peking, which is repulsed by the Catholics' tactic of shooting & killing
the Boxers' "pointers" before the main body of attackers has a chance to
enter the church grounds.

Is this an old-fashioned military word, maybe equivalent to "scouts"?

Mirsi ayu,

--Dave R.