Recent article on CJ

Haruo Ros' lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Apr 9 02:43:10 UTC 2003

So do we know anybody at Whitman (not quite the same question as "do we
know anybody in Walla Walla"! ;-)* If such a work is languishing in a dusty
corner of the Whitman library, perhaps somebody ought to get me a grant to
go prepare it for the Web. ;-)

lilEnd

*PS to non-Washingtonians: Walla Walla, where Whitman College is located,
is also the site of the Washington State Penitentiary, the main state
prison. To say one "knows somebody in Walla Walla" has a rather
non-academic feel to it. Other Washington toponyms with similar
connotations include Monroe (state reformatory), Purdy (state women's
prison), Steilacoom (Western Washington State Hospital, a psychiatric
lockup) and when I was a kid, Sedro-Woolley (the now defunct Northern State
Hospital for the Criminally Insane). My mom was from Sedro-Woolley, and so
I can appreciate perhaps better than many Anglos the hurtfulness of "squaw"
toponyms. OTOH, Washington State's *Bellevue* does *not* have the Bedlamite
connotations it might elsewhere.

        ROS' Haruo / 204 N 39th / Seattle WA 98103 / Usono
    lilandbr at scn.org / lilandbr at hotmail.com / tel 206-633-2434
TTT-Himnaro Cigneta : http://www.geocities.com/cigneto/pretaj.html
Nove en La Lilandejo : http://www.geocities.com/lilandr/novaj.html
      ("la Esperantisto antauxe nomata Liland Brajant Ros'")