Recent article on CJ

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Wed Apr 9 20:26:01 UTC 2003

I don't know if I'd say "languishing in a dusty corner of the library."  I
remember meeting the archivist, Lawrence Dodd (who David Lewis wrote to), when
I was there, and he seemed to be very aware that this is a valuable resource. I
think he is OK with people going to look at it there, but he seemed reticent
about copying it--perhaps for the reason he gave to David (lack of staff for
such a big copying job).

I learned of the existence of the ms from the former archivist at Gonzaga,
Father Schoenberg.  I'm still curious as to what extent Shaw based his
published dictionary on Eells's ms, but have never sat down and looked at the
two sources in that light.  Henry