tyee / tia

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Tue Apr 22 00:26:07 UTC 2003

Alan,

Yes, I suppose that the term could have been borrowed into Chinookan from CJ.
If it was, though, it apparently later dropped out of Chinookan usage, as the
word for chief as later recorded is the one Tony cites, and neither Boas nor
anyone else records anything like tia.  Things like that do happen, of course.
As with wapato, it may be that Lewis and Clark themselves are our best
authority that the word was "really" Chinookan.  Henry