sapolil

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Tue Apr 22 00:49:02 UTC 2003

Also sapli, sable, etc., probably reflecting a folk-etymological derivation
from a French word.  This is another toughy.  Some historical citations suggest
ts- or ch- as the initial segment.  The "Chinookan" word for bread in Moulton
is the same word for bread shared by other lower Columbia languages.  As far as
I know no one has made a clear case for tracing it to any particular local
language.  The fact that Lewis and Clark recorded it in 1805-6 and attributed
it to local Indians is our strongest evidence of local origin, and to my mind
weighs more heavily than various proposals of an Algonkian or
Algonkian-via-French etymology.  Henry