Weght hiyu "Kanaka" wawa

Ros' Haruo lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Sun Feb 9 06:11:59 UTC 2003

I have been extremely busy elsewhere and haven't had a chance to follow the
list much recently, but this about Polynesian matters reminds me that one
pair of Hawai'ian words that I once thought seemed to have a CJ reflex is
"mauka/makai" (respectively, roughly, "away from the water/towards the
water" ("water" here meaning, as it almost always does in Hawai'i ;-) , the
Big water). But now I can't recall what the CJ words that I thought might be
related were. In Hawai'i, for many folks, "mauka/makai" is a much more
significant part of the directional vocabulary (even in English) than are
the "cardinal points of the compass".

lilEnd

        ROS' Haruo / 204 N 39th / Seattle WA 98103 / Usono
    lilandbr at scn.org / lilandbr at hotmail.com / tel 206-633-2434
TTT-Himnaro Cigneta : http://www.geocities.com/cigneto/pretaj.html
Nove en La Lilandejo : http://www.geocities.com/lilandr/novaj.html
      ("la Esperantisto antauxe nomata Liland Brajant Ros'")