Camas

Theresa Kishkan tkishkan at UNISERVE.COM
Tue Feb 11 15:49:53 UTC 2003

Someone said a year or two ago that blue camas stems would be tied with
twine or something to distinguish them from death camas because once the the
flowers of both have gone to seed, it's very hard to tell them apart. One
solution would be to dig the bulbs when the plant is flowering.

My understanding is that they can be cooked with black lichen and made into
cakes, flavoured with wild onions. The bulbs are also dipped in eulachon
grease. Coastal people steam them in seaweed and that would certainly impart
flavour!

Theresa Kishkan
RR1 Site 20 C11
Madeira Park, B.C.
V0N 2H0
(604)883-2377
Red Laredo Boots (1996); Sisters of Grass (2000); Inishbream (2001); Phantom
Limb (forthcoming)

"On my desk, a paperweight containing a perfect sea anemone, created from
molten glass, pink and blue, its tentacles open and ready. I take it in my
palm and gaze into its depths, looking for something. It is the world made
perfect, suspended in clear glass."