"Indian summer" & "Indian" as disparaging adjective

David D. Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Mar 28 04:51:52 UTC 2003

Jeff,

Good comments, and I have to agree that the phrase "Indian summer" has very
nearly 0% Indian-associated content for speakers of American English now.
The history of the term is fascinating (there are books about it), as is
the fact that it's become a standard, essentially universally known item in
the language.  But probably about as many folks  are aware of the origin
of "Indian summer" as know that "skunk" is Algonquian.

I found it amazing and interesting to hear of the possibility that "Indian
summer" could have an originally pejorative connotation.

--Dave