Long and Phillips originals

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at ATTBI.COM
Mon May 5 19:18:42 UTC 2003

Hi. I occasionally get this type of inquiry from book collectors. This is
the sort of reply I usually make, and I sometimes forward the text to the
list in case anybody out there might be interested on bidding on a copy. (I
don't bother to forward reports of Hibbens copies because they're so
common; if you're interested in one of these, email me. These two are in
most older NW libraries.)

Anyway, herewith:

At 11:22 AM 5/5/2003, you wrote:

>I have two books on the Chinook Jargon and would like to know what they
>are worth.  I have "The Chinook Book" by El Comancho (W.S. Phillips),
>Seattle, 1913, second edition and "Dictionary of Chinook Jargon" compiled
>by Frederic Long, copyright 1909.
>
>Can you give me some idea?
>
>Thanks.

No, I'm sorry, but I have no idea. I doubt they are of significant value,
however; if such should prove to be the case, I would suggest they be
donated to a local historical society museum or college library.

As you may have surmised from my Web site, my friends and I are interested
in the history of Jargon usage. If these copies are part of your family's
estate, or markings within them or their discovered location offer any
clues about their previous owners' interest in or knowledge of the Jargon,
we would be glad for any information you can share with us.

Regards,

Jeffrey Kopp