Mystery dict plus old Times clipping

Jeffrey Kopp jeffkopp at ATTBI.COM
Tue May 6 01:04:10 UTC 2003

Hi, all.

Hoping for some potentially useful anecdotal data, I asked my correspondent
who found copies of Long and Phillips if there were any inscriptions or
marginalia within or family history associated with the books. She replied
she'd found them at an estate sale in Seattle, but did find some things
tucked inside The Chinook Book, and sent me scans.

One is a newspaper clipping (which she believes dates to 1945 from an
article on the back, though it could have been as late as 1960) by
Washington historian C.T. Conover, probably in the Seattle Times, a capsule
tidbit of Jargon history.  I uploaded it to a temporary dir at my Website
to share here. See <http://chinookjargon.home.attbi.com/view/chinook.jpg>

More intriguing is the worn and cover-less, older-appearing dictionary
found tucked inside The Chinook Book.  She first sent
<http://chinookjargon.home.attbi.com/view/chinook2.jpg> (a
symbol-pronunciation legend and numbers in Jargon), which might determine
the book, but was a bit sketchy for recognition, so she obligingly
furnished scans of <http://chinookjargon.home.attbi.com/view/preface1.jpg>
and <http://chinookjargon.home.attbi.com/view/interior.jpg> to further aid
me in identifying the work.

My first guess was that this is a Hibbens, but I haven't gone to look yet
at the page scans of the two of them I know of the Web (one at Marv's site
and one at Canadiana).  Anyway, here they are for kicking around. The
printing, paper and binding do appear mid-late 19th century.

These are 75-200KB color .jpgs, so they'll take a while to see on a
dial-up, but due to the clarity of these scans I didn't reduce and flatten
them to contrasted greyscale .gif's as I usually would before uploading
them. (If anybody has trouble with the size, lemme know and I'll squish 'em
down.)

Regards,

Jeff