Simalgyax

Colin Bruce cbruce at SMARTLINE.COM.AU
Wed May 7 23:00:51 UTC 2003

I've just been digging a little into Simalgyax:

Simalgyax      Chinook Jargon

t'axtoox = suck          tatoosh = milk/breast
buu = blow          poo = blow
siipkw = sick       sick = sick
k'ohl = year        kol = cold/winter/year
waas = rain         snass = rain
Galipliip = thunder liplip = boil
lax = down/on       lagh = down/on
mismuus = cow       moosmoos = cow
noo = mother        noho = mother
n = I (preposed)         na = I/my (preposed)
m = you (preposed)  ma = you/your (preposed)
Tsiits = Grandma    Cheech = Grandma

The above examples were taken from an old Tsimshian Grammar
and I can see that some words are direct loan words from CJ.
But I thought the last four examples (Mother, I , you, Grandma)
and even the first one (suck) would usually stay constant.
Can anyone talk about how related Old Chinookan and
Simalgyax are?  Or maybe it's Nuu-cha-nulh that's cross polinating...