"Saibashi" in Canadian Japanese; LeJeune's numbers

Colin Bruce cbruce at SMARTLINE.COM.AU
Wed May 14 02:25:06 UTC 2003

Japanese Canadians at least in British Columbia are not a difficult to find Minority.  The most
famous of course being David Suzuki of "Nature of Things" fame.  I grew up as friends and neighbours
with many.  Finding a Japanese Canadian who speaks Canadian Japanese might be more difficult now
days though since many are nisei (second generation) or sansei (third generation) and may be limited
in their grandparents language.  I wish I was back in my home town instead of the other side of the
world.  Then I would go ask Mrs. Tsunota who taught me my first Japanese characters out of a great
big Japanese bible when I was six.

If Mrs. Tsunota didn't have an opinion on why she used saibashi then I would ask her how she would
write saibashi.  So far we've only been considering romanji (roman characters) which only show how
the word was pronounced.  The word may likely have been written in Katakana which is used for
foreign words like italics are in english.  But if Saibashi was written in kanji (chinese like
characters) or  a combination of hiragana (everyday characters) and kanji then we might get a better
understanding of whatever puns were intended by Japanese Canadians.  Kanji of course contains
elements of meaning and often makes use of puns and rebus-like devices.  This would really be fun to
get to the bottom of especially considering the potential for a clever and possibly flattering
meaning.

Jeffrey Kopp <jeffkopp at ATTBI.COM>@LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG> on 13-05-2003 17:09:11

Please respond to Jeffrey Kopp <jeffkopp at ATTBI.COM>

Sent by:  The Chinook List <CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG>