Original Gibbs CJ dictionary for sale

Jeffrey Kopp jeffreykopp at ATT.NET
Tue Oct 21 22:31:32 UTC 2003

At 12:15 PM 10/21/2003, Tom Larsen wrote:
>Gibbs' Dictionary of the Chinook Jargon was published simultaneously by
>the Smithsonian and by Cramoisy Press in 1863.
>
>--
>Tom Larsen

Ah, that sounds possible (i.e., the Smithsonian's, being a gov't pub, is
not in copyright and could be reprinted freely).  However, there is indeed
an 1863 Craimoisy ed. of Gibbs' "Alpabetical Vocabulary of the Chinook
language," which has led to some confusion with his Jargon dictionary. (I
also have copies of both which I made at the Multnomah Co. library.)

  Your Search: Gibbs, George, 1815-1873

        AUTHOR                     TITLE (shortened)                   CALL #
    1. Gibbs, George, 1815   Indian tribes of Washington Te     970.1 G44i
    2. Gibbs, George, 1815   Alphabetical vocabulary of the     O-497 G44a
    3. Gibbs, George, 1815   A dictionary of the Chinook ja     O-497 G44
    4. Gibbs, George, 1815   Indian tribes of Washington Te     R-970.1 G44i

     DYNIX #    758762
      AUTHOR    Gibbs, George, 1815-1873.
       TITLE    Alphabetical vocabulary of the Chinook language.
   PUBLISHER    New York, Cramoisy Press, 1863.
    DESCRIPT    23 p.
      SERIES     1) Shea's library of American linguistics ; 13.
     BIBLIOG    Bibliography: p. vii-viii.
    SUBJECTS     1) English language -- Dictionaries -- Chinook jargon.
                 2) Chinook jargon -- Dictionaries -- English.
   ISBN/ISSN    0404509932

     DYNIX #    758765
      AUTHOR    Gibbs, George, 1815-1873.
       TITLE    A dictionary of the Chinook jargon, or trade language of
Oregon.
                Prepared for the Smithsonian Institution. By George Gibbs.
   PUBLISHER    Washington, Smithsonian Institution, 1863.
    DESCRIPT    43 p. 24 cm.
      SERIES     1) Smithsonian miscellaneous collections ; v. 7, no. 10
                 2) Publication, 161
                 3) Publication (Smithsonian Institution) ; 161.
    SUBJECTS     1) Chinook jargon -- Glossaries, vocabularies, etc.