Chinook Jargon origins for ethnonyms used in 20th c. Tlingit.

Jeffrey Kopp jeffreykopp at ATT.NET
Sun Sep 28 03:49:12 UTC 2003

Well, as I understand it, wives were an important factor in cross-tribal
communication due to their bilinguality (as also were slaves). However,
whether children remained bilingual would depend on how long they continued
(or were permitted) to speak their mother's tongue. I don't know enough
about Native culture myself to guess one way or the other.

I believe children who transition completely to a new language before the
age of 6 may lose their knowledge of their first tongue by adolescence. I
had a high school classmate who came from Austria at 4 or 5 who couldn't
remember any German by the time I met him at 15. (He was actually taking
German I that year, and found it as difficult as his classmates.) My
grandmother spoke only German (in rural Illinois before the turn of the
century) until first taught English at about age 5; although she recalled
"still thinking in German" (to some extent) until her late teens, she could
no longer speak it by then, and could remember only a handful of German
nouns by the time I knew her.

I'd guess if such children continued to speak their mother's tongue until
at least, say, age 10, then they probably retained bilingual ability.

Regards,

Jeff