Wakashan /dulu/?! (tolo)

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Apr 9 18:32:51 UTC 2004

Hi,

I was checking a form /dulo/ that I elicited from a speaker of Kwak'wala,
so I referred to Lincoln & Rath's 'North Wakashan Comparative Root List'.
They claim this root as Wakashan, and they reconstruct it as a
root /dwL/.  (I mean with a voiceless 'L' at the end, the sort of 'tl'
or 'kl' sound.)  In Oowekyala & Kwak'wala, /dulu/ [as L&R spell it)
means 'to win (in a game or contest)', same as I found in Kwak'wala.

I'm skeptical, though.  This word is identical to the 'good Indian
pronunciation' in Chinook Jargon.  I think it's a borrowing from CJ, where
it's originally a K'alapuyan item.  (Wikna?)

Does any of you know of evidence that this is really a Wakashan word?
Your information would be much appreciated.

Hayu masi,

--Dave R.