St. Onge in KW

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sun Apr 11 05:15:03 UTC 2004

Turns out my memory wasn't so good, and I should've taken a look at the
dictionary I thought was originally by St. Onge...he was actually one who
revised it.

As for Bishop Durieu's 'flying sheets', here's something from page 33 of
Le Jeune's "Chinook Rudiments" (1924):

'The following Vocabulary was supplied by Bishop Durieu in flying sheets,
a dozen all together, to serve as lessons in Chinook, to Father Chirouse
and myself, during our voyage across the Atlantic from Havre to New York,
and across the continent from New York to San Francisco, September and
October 1879.

'The flying sheets, unfortunately, have been lost long ago: but in 1886 I
printed a few copies on a small printing press.  This little vocabulary is
fully described in the Bibliography of the Chinookan Languages published
in 1893, by James C. Pilling for the Smithsonian Institution.

'I found a copy of that vocabulary, just by chance, a few days ago, and
decided to reproduce it here, as an interesting document.

'A few common Chinook words are missing, simply overlooked in the "flying"
lessons, where there was no ambition of completeness...'

[vocabulary follows, through page 36]

--Dave R.