More on early 'Canuck' (repost from ADS-L)

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Mon Aug 16 16:30:35 UTC 2004

---------------------- Information from the mail header --------------------
---
Sender:       American Dialect Society <ADS-L at LISTSERV.UGA.EDU>
Poster:       Bapopik at AOL.COM
Subject:      Shtik (1960); Canuck (1843)
CANUCK
 =20
I've been thinking of the GLOBE AND MAIL lately, that great Canadian=20
newspaper, and harking back to my work on "Canuck." I don't know if I
posted=
 this one,=20
from Paper of Record.
   =20
 =20
28 April 1843, MONTREAL TRANSCRIPT, pg. 2, col. 5:
NOT AT ALL PERSONAL.--The Editor of the _Statesman_ calls the Editor of
the=20
_Chronicle & Gazette_ "A useless, good-for-nothing, leaden haeded mock
gente=
el=20
loafer, who is 1-2 Yankee, 2-8th Scotch, 1-18th Canuck, 1-32nd English,
and=20
the other part of the fraction, which it takes to make up the whole,
nondesc=
ript=20
mongrel;"...--_British Whig_.=20