Dictionary of Native American Place Names

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Jun 10 02:30:25 UTC 2004

Not sure if I have the name right from memory, but William Bright is the
editor of a long-awaited and soon-to-be-published dictionary of North
American place names that are derived from Native languages.  There will
be quite a number of Chinook Jargon names in this one.  Should be
interesting to look at.  I believe Dale Kinkade was the person in charge
of Northwest placenames.  This info comes from the latest SSILA bulletin.

The same bulletin issue contains an article by venerable Algonquianist
Ives Goddard on the origin of the name "Oregon".  Interesting.  The idea
is that it comes from a widely known Algonquian word of 2-3 centuries ago,
which was used in a sort of pidgin English.  Reference is made to Dave
Lewis' work on this word's etymology.

--Dave R.