Word for 'lunatic'

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Thu Jun 10 17:22:49 UTC 2004

I'm looking at a 1931 reprint of Hibben's dictionary.  It's got a word
for "lunatic" that's spelled _scotty_.  Now, I could go looking through a
bunch of Salish dictionaries for its source (that's my first guess about
its origin).  But I want to stir up a discussion and benefit from other
folks' knowledge.  Anyone here have an idea where this word came from?
Ever seen it in a text?

--Dave R.