Word for 'lunatic'

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Jun 11 15:46:46 UTC 2004

I don't know that I've read of a nickname for Archibald Pelton / Felton,
just that his name became a nickname for anyone crazy.  One of you wrote
to me asking about his first name.  I'm pretty sure I'm remembering that
it was Archibald.  Now, there were plenty of Scots in the Oregon Country,
many with the given name Archibald.  Maybe a generic nickname for them was
Scotty.  Maybe the Pelton story remained vivid in people's memories for
quite a while, making for a mental connection between Scottish people and
wackos.  Maybe I'm way out on a limb.

--Dave Robertson
  (a Scottish name)