Barman, 'Maria Mahoi of the Islands'

Nadine Pedersen nadine at HARBOURPUBLISHING.COM
Tue Jun 29 21:02:42 UTC 2004

Although as an employee of Harbour Publishing I feel a bit self-serving
posting this on the list serve, in addition the book on Maria Mahoi I would
also encourage people to also  pick up Jean Barman's other new book, The
Remarkable Adventures of Portuguese Joe Silvey. It is a fascinating
micro-history of an early British Columbia settler and his family that,
among other things, examines racial interaction and identity in the
late-19th and early-20th centuries. The use of Chinook as a lingua franca
comes up on at least a couple of occasions in the text. At one point the
book overlaps a bit with Maria Mahoi of the Islands, as Maria Mahoi and
Portuguese Joe both lived in the same small whaling camp on Pasley Island.

In the fall, Harbour Publishing will also be publishing One River, Two
Cultures: A History of the Bella Coola Valley, which discusses the role
Chinook played when anthropologist Tim McIlwraith was studying the Nuxalkmc
culture.

Cheers,

Nadine P.