pipa-samEn

Bruce, Colin Colin.Bruce at FRASERHEALTH.CA
Tue Nov 9 20:10:16 UTC 2004

I've been wondering if the maybe pipa-samEn is part of a longer phrase
like chEm-pipa-samEn?  Maybe the writer was referring to chum salmon but
chose a different shortening of the phrase.  I have nothing to back the
idea up though.

-----Original Message-----
From: The Chinook List [mailto:CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG] On
Behalf Of Bernard Schulmann
Sent: Tuesday, November 09, 2004 11:29 AM
To: CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: pipa-samEn

Through the whole Fraser-Thompson-Okanagan region of BC wind dried
salmon was very common (and is still common in some areas like
Lillooet and Lytton) - know in St'at'imc as Ts'wan.

This product was crucial to the economy of the interior of BC because
it was a protable and tradable source of wealth.    Packing a few
hundred side of Ts'wan is not impossible.   The fish was also the
fundamental basis of the trade between the HBC and southern interior
first nations, with trade from a single community, Pavilion, able to
exceed 10 000 fish a year.

I have not come across the term paper salmon, though the St'at'imc
use the term 'pipa' for paper.

Bernard now living in exile in Victoria