Looking for "Auxime"

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Fri Nov 26 00:00:38 UTC 2004

When it rains it pours.  Here's another mention of Nicola Auxime that I've
just found.  It comes from Kamloops Wawa, March 1897, page 39.  The
passage refers to an apparently newly composed Chinook hymn, "Kanawi
Msaika Styuil Tilikom?" (Are All of You Believers?).

"Nsaika mamuk ukuk shanti kopa Spahomin, pi Nikola Oksim iaka kanamokst
nsaika kopa Spahomin iaka aiak chako komtaks ukuk shanti pi iaka hilp
tilikom kopa ukuk shanti."

('We created this song at Douglas Lake, and Nicola Auxime who was with us
at Douglas Lake quickly learned the song and helped people with the song.')

The man was evidenly an active acquaintance of Father Le Jeune's.

--Dave R.