Indian sounds in Kamloops Wawa writing (fwd from A. Grant)

vincent yann janilta at YAHOO.FR
Thu Oct 7 06:35:56 UTC 2004

In a letter of April 24, 1892, Father L-N St. Onge
> wrote to Father Le Jeune
> (publisher of Kamloops Wawa):
Here is my English version of the letter. Hope it can
be of use to some of you.

> "Je suis heureux de constater que votre orthographe
Chinook est sous plusieurs rapports semblable au mien.

I am happy to see that your spelling of Chinook is
quite similar to mine.

Comme j'ai imprime' mes livres moi[-]
> meme, et pour diminuer le nombre de lettres
> necessaires autant que
> possible, j'ai elimine' _ou_ et _oo_, et je me suis
> servi de _u_, lui donnant le son italien.
Since I printed my books myself, and in order to limit
the number of necessary letters as much as possible, I
supressed the ou/oo and used u instead, giving it the
Italian sound.

L'institut Smithsonian de Washington fait la meme
> chose maintenant, et donne le son francais aux
> lettres a, e, i,* de sorte
> que sans le savoir, je me trouve a avoir suivi la
> methode soit [sic]-disant scientifique.
The Smithonian Institute in Washington does the same
now and gives French values to the letters so that, I
have followed this so-called scientific method
unknowingly.

J'ai aussi elimine' toutes les lettres inutiles comme
snow,
> sno; tkope, tkop; wheat, whit; papoos, papus; moon,
mun; ploom, plum; tea,
> ti; paint, pent; steamboat, stimpot, &c. &c.
I have left aside the useless (mute) letters as for...

C'est d'accord avec la
> stenographie qui demande des signes exactement
conformes aux sons, et c'est
> plus court."
It is in accordance to stenography (shorthand) that
requires signs exactly matching the sounds, and it is
shorter.

> *footnote: "il se sert aussi de h^ pour le son
> guttural de loch, machen
> dont je me sers aussi."
he also uses h^ for the guttural sound in '(Scottish)
loch, (German) machen', symbol I also use myself.

Bonne journee, Yann

Ps : Dave, please correct my English...