Question on CJ/Shoalwater Chinook word

hzenk at PDX.EDU hzenk at PDX.EDU
Fri Oct 8 02:39:38 UTC 2004

Quoting Sally Thomason <thomason at UMICH.EDU>:

> Probably it's safe to assume that Lower Chinook speakers
> used a borrowing routine in adopting Chinook Jargon "pus"
> with the added French-origin prefix (without semantic or
> grammatical content).  This wouldn't necessarily mean that
> they were identifying the word with French; it could just
> have been a correspondence rule like "foreign words used
> in the Jargon should begin with la", or something like
> that.

Or, the result of a Chinookan speaker also familiar with Jargon generalizing
the l(a)- prefixed portion of the Jargon lexicon a bit beyond bounds? (maybe
just a slip?)  I'd be curious to see whether our Kiksht experts have other such
items.  (Kiksht, not Shoalwater being at issue, since this item is from one of
the Wishram sections contributed by Sapir to Boas's grammar.)  Henry