almota

Ros' Haruo lilandbr at HOTMAIL.COM
Wed Oct 20 18:34:17 UTC 2004

On our recent Trailways excursion from Seattle via Spokane to Boise, Paula
and I passed a junction in the Palouse where the main drag bore left and the
smaller road that went straight on had a sign reading "Almota 20" (I think
it was 20, anyway some number of miles). I had never heard of this town but
immediately thought "Strawberries". Is some form of this current at GR?
(I've seen various spellings in the anglicizing books, almota, amoteh etc.,
and I think somewhere I saw "lamoteh" (which is why I thought of the place
just now in the context of "(l)appelah", "(la)p'ush" etc.

I can find no information on the town of Almota, Washington, if there be
such, but there is a Port of Almota on the Snake:

http://www.portwhitman.com/Almota.php?index=3

haluo = lilEnd