James Teit writing in CJ (fwd from L Riding)

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Wed Sep 1 00:29:03 UTC 2004

Leanne Riding [whose email to the list failed, so I'm forwarding it] wrote:

Here's my go at it:

"A little while ago I got a letter from my friend Magnus Jamieson
who resides in Levenwick, and he says to me: 'Really good if I
visit him this winter, and stay also.' A little while ago he
slaughtered a bull and he bought many dry fish, so has lots of
food, and he'd like me and him to eat it all.  He fished all this
last summer, but he scarcely made money, so he
says not sure when he'll marry.  I know his mind --
he prefers my company, and wants to have a good time with me after.
And I think he errs, as he won't get a wife quickly, if I'm first.
I hear folks caught lots of fish in Shetland this summer. Really
great, if always thus, even better. Soon I'll go to sleep so I'll
finish this letter now."

-- Leanne (http://timetemple.com)