Jim Holton, "Chinook Jargon: The Hidden Language of the Pacific Northwest"

David Robertson ddr11 at COLUMBIA.EDU
Sun Sep 12 23:26:05 UTC 2004

I'd like to point out that Jim Holton's long-awaited book, "Chinook Jargon:
The Hidden Language of the Pacific Northwest" is now in print.  I've spent
the last week looking through a copy, and I recommend this volume
especially for the large majority of us who aren't linguists.

Jim's tone is informal, his discussion of grammar is clear, and he uses a
massive knowledge base to create a fascinating, readable book.  There's
history here, plus anecdotes, grammar, pronunciation tips, and a vocabulary
section.

You could use this book (plus a few resources from the Web and our yearly
gatherings) to learn individually or in a small group of devotees.  In
short order you'd have an enviable grasp of Chinook, and from that point
you could learn particular varieties like Grand Ronde or Kamloops Wawa.

Given the lack of a textbook for people just starting on Chinook, this book
is a welcome service to a pretty large community of Native people, history
students, teachers and many others.  Bravo, Jim!

--Dave R