siwash cosho for "seal"

Maria Pascua mcrcmaria at CENTURYTEL.NET
Wed Sep 15 23:15:18 UTC 2004

Hi Scott and all,
wiikaadaXaatlsishii!
I've had seal meat before too, so maybe the association refers more to the
blubber in that seal blubber was also rendered, similarly pork rinds.
shu, Maria

-----Original Message-----
From: Scott Tyler [mailto:s.tylermd at comcast.net]
Sent: Tuesday, September 14, 2004 8:19 PM
To: Maria Pascua; CHINOOK at LISTSERV.LINGUISTLIST.ORG
Subject: Re: Re: siwash cosho for "seal"

Hi Maria and All,
? baaqii dakhaa tliik maliiya ?  tluLuu atls.
The Makah word for pig is  kwishoo  which is likely derived from Chinook
kosho which is from French.
It is interesting that  k'ash-ch'u is similar sounding to Chinook word
kosho, but I think the similarity is purely accidental (or ? incidental ?).
The last seal meat I had was many years ago at Neah Bay at 'old man' Harry
Bowechop's house.  It had the texture of beef,
was very dark in color almost black (likely from the high concentration of
myoglobin---which helps the seal store oxygen in muscle tissue for long
underwater dives),
and it was fishy tasting.  More like 'fishy beef' than pork. Seal meat and
seal oil were common foods for Natives like 'bacon and eggs' for the
Americans, French and British.
I can understand them coining the term Indian pork [saywash cosho]  for
seal.
Scott